Friday 24 June 2016

Sewing summer...

Like many of you sewists, Me Made May was huge inspiration to me. I can't believe how quickly the time has flown by since I pledged to wear my handmade wardrobe each day throughout May. The weather was largely fine, so I struggled little with my handmade choices, relying, as ever, on a uniform of floral, vintage-inspired dresses, cropped cardigans, leggings and clogs. Over the past few years it has become my uniform in the Spring and Summer, and if ain't broke, well...


So here are my favourites! 
Top row L-R: Made by Rae Washi dress in floral needlecord, with a sleeve pattern downloaded from Made By Rae's website; A free Ilsley skirt pattern by Marilla Walker (I wore this three times in the final week alone!) in Merchant and Mills chambray; my vintage barkcloth Dottie Angel Frock (Simplicity 1080

Middle row L-R: Mimi blouse pattern from Tilly and the Buttons' book, Love at First Stitch in a vintage floral cotton purchased for £3 at a boot sale; another Washi in spotty poplin and my tweed Miette Cardigan; *ULTIMATE FAVOURITE OUTFIT KLAXON* (my gingham polycotton Washi dress with an old primarni cardi, leggings and mint Sunjellies)

Bottom row L- R: Orange Needlecord Francoise dress by Tilly and the Buttons; Stripe ponte roma Coco dress by Tilly and the Buttons; another Dottie Angel frock in quilting cottons (LOVE this one)

For a daily headless mirror selfie of all my #memademay #mmmay16 outfits, check out the instagram yo. I really loved this challenge, and I wore almost everything in my handmade arsenal over the course of the month. Some things were not worn, either they were too 'dressy' for everyday wear or I just don't like them. So I think I fulfilled my first goal of the challenge- to identify the surplus items in my me-made wardrobe. Next up was analysing what I can make more of to enhance my handmade fashion. I rely heavily on stripes and denim on an almost daily basis outside of the challenge, so I think I need to sew some more there- I want to make a red stripe Coco tee, I have the Marilla Walker Robert Collection pattern (dungarees- I'm thinking more indigo chambray for a summer dress version)- and wear more of the Kath uniform. I'm considering sewing jeans one day- but to be honest that doesn't fit my pretty dress-and-cardi philosophy eh?! One of the best things I have found from the challenge is the connection to other sewists and dressmakers. I loved following my favourite famous stitchers, such as Juju Vail and Tilly of course. 


My next three projects are another washi dress! This time straight up, with pleats and the notch in the neckline, in this gorgeous 'Sommar' painterly gingham from Michael Miller Fabrics. Then, a short-sleeve coco dress in this bold stripe viscose jersey for summer, then this beautiful addition- the new Tilly pattern- Marigold! I'll be using a navy polka dot crepe for the jumpsuit version. I'm considering adding a hot pink piped edge to the pockets and sweetheart neckline. I may well order the chambray for my dungaree dress shortly too. 

So anyway, that's my sewing head muddle out my head on here! Can't wait to get back behind my machine tomorrow to get stitching. Did you take part? What did you learn about your style? PS Do you like the simple update to my blog? Just the header really, I think it's fresh. 

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by to read. I've enabled Disqus so if I don't reply to your comment here, please know that I read and treasure every word. Let's stay in touch! I'm also found on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Let's be friends.